Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

What about ....the fair

Things I have learned from working/volunteering at the Fair......

1.  I will never, ever again wear anything with spaghetti straps - and leave my house!
2.  Dirty old men - there still out there people
3.  Most people are generally good, kind and forgiving
4.  Some people are rotten, mean and - I'll stop there.
5.  Manners - would it hurt kids to ask "Can I have an order of french fries" instead of  "I need fries"  A please and thank you would be nice - but really, I'd settle for a kind attitude and smile, instead of a scowl and a demand.
6.  I like fair food.
7.  After 3 days of fair food, I don't like it so much.
8.  There really is a huge difference between the country mouse and the city mouse - I was completely fascinated by the people that would stand and watch cows milking - machine milking - How many would have loved to milk that baby by hand.  I know I would've loved to watched them watch.
9.  Little girls love to look at tractors.
10. Tractor pulls - still don't get it
11.  When you bet on a horse with the name "Martini with Olives" and think it will actually win - you've been at the fair too long.
12.  I still get a little tingling in the tummy when I hear "starter call the pacers".  Don't know why - I don't even watch the races - I think it's one of those childhood memories, remembering how everyone would walk to the fence with tickets in hand everytime I heard it.
13.  Seeing Aunt Sharon strolling the races, means all is right with the world. (again, those childhood memories)
14.  I wanted to stop on the last one, but it's number 13 so.......  fair bathrooms -  no matter how much you clean those things - still nasty, smelly.... but I now know, I can hold my breath, pee, wash me hands - all in under a minute. Speed peeing!

So, what is it about the fair that keeps calling my name.  "Pam" "oh Pam!" "We have fries for you.....While you're eating those we've got cow poop to step in, lots of dust blowing around from the pullings/races,  there's hours of standing on your feet wearing those ever so stylish rubber glove and serving up the burgers,  we'll even throw in some really, really, loud truck noises and then to top it all off, we'll keep you up all night with a stomach ache!"   OMG!  I can't wait til next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment