Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

What about .... grandmothers

My cousin Cindy has a new life...... a new grand daughter - Adaya.


Grandmother........ grand mother......... 

I remember my grandmothers  -

Nana Moody - who btw is Cindy's grandmother too, which is probably why she is such a great grand mother and gives me hope that I will too.   I remember Nana always at the kitchen stove cooking or at the sink doing dishes - that is, until I got old enough to do dishes and then Lisa and I would do dishes and have a few little "cat fights" while cleaning.  To which I can hear Nana " You girls, stop it!" That's it, that's all she'd say.  I remember Nana as the quiet one, always busy.   She always wore an apron - I like to put on an apron every so often and pretend I'm someone's grandmother. I like baked beans.  Just a statement.  Nana would call me up on a Saturday night and ask if I wanted to come up for beans - I would walk up over the hill and have beans.  To this day, everytime I eat baked beans - I think of Nana.  She also made the most magnificent doughnuts.  Sometimes she would give them to Cindy to bring to me on the school bus in the morning - OMG! they were still warm and.... gone!  Every Christmas Nana made me a flannel nightgown, so, I had to learn to sew so I can make grand babies nightclothes.   Thanks Nana


Nana St. Pierre -   Can you say opposite??  Nana played croquette with us, swam with us, took us for ice cream....  Nana watched ball on TV - basketball (The Celtics), baseball (the Red Sox) and football (Yup, that's right, Patriots)  She let us play on the porch, where the blankets smelled musty - man, I love that smell.  We played in Nana and Grampa's room where everything smelled like Old Spice - again, love that smell.  We always ate Nana's crackers- those little round saltines you put in soup?  Weren't they called Dandy crackers??  They came in a big green box  -  I could eat them by the box.  Nana always told me "stop biting you fingernails, you don't want to have your nails look like mine".  Take a guess where I got the nail biting from! I wish she could see my nails now - you could say, I stopped biting them.  Thanks Nana

I had two wonderful Nana's.  They each taught me different things.  They both made me feel special  - sometimes they made me feel like I was they only grandchild and other times they reminded me that I was part of a special bigger family.  Does it get any better than that?

I'm so jealous, Cindy!  I can't wait to be a grandmother - BUT I'm not in a hurry, really!

1 comment:

  1. I know you can't wait to be a grandmother. It wont be right off though so you will have to wait some more!

    ReplyDelete