Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

What About.... Jewettville North

Jewettville North - the place where you go when you need to "get away".  Not sure what people are getting away from when they use this term.  It used to be to "get away" from the telephones  -  how's that working out for everyone now with cell phones.  Pretty good as long as you turn that power button to off?  (don't tell Fernando I said that, he would never turn off his cell phone)  So,  Jewettville North - more intown location then sitting by the water at home. Store, a mile from camp. More restaurants within a ten mile radius (my guess would be there's 20 or more ) than the one restaurant we have at home.  More and closer neighbors... 

What is it about this place


Isn't this the picture of peace and quiet - serenity and relaxation?





Organized and clean.....


                                                           
                                                      Any everything in it's proper place....

What kind of fun is that, I ask you.  Jewettville North is the place we go in the winter for outdoor activities. It is only 5 miles to the nearest ski slopes, cross country skiing, snowmobiling from the door, snowshoeing from the doorstep and the list goes on.

Then the night descends upon us - scaryoke (karaoke) anyone? How about snow tubing down the ski slope,  music and dancing at any number of those restaurant I mentioned earlier or just a walk where the stars are so bright that you can see them through the steam pouring from your mouth and nostrils and air so cold and crisp you can actually hear your fingers and toes freezing.  Oh, I don't want to forget the month of November when the "men in the tribe" go foraging for meat for the wintah, whoops, wintER.  I really, really want to be a mouse in the corner, wait, maybe I don't.  I've only been privileged to hear a few of the stories about "hunting camp", there are more stories that the "men in the tribe" won't share. From the stories I've already heard, I know I don't want to hear "the rest of the story."   So scratch that need to be a mouse in the corner - home in my bed with my lavender scented sheets, propane fireplace flickering in the bedroom and sleeping until I feel like getting up is where I want to be.  It's my understanding that at hunting camp the fireplace only flickers when you get up 3 times a night to put wood in it, getting up in the morning consists of finding your boots in the dark, before coffee, which means you never are sure whose boots you might be wearing until the 2nd cup of coffee kicks in, but by then you're to far from camp to get the right boots, and, I really don't think those sheets are lavender scented (I've heard that corned beef hash has been banned from hunting camp this year)- 'nough said about that!

The weekend before the men in the tribe forage for meat the women in the tribe visit  - not sure why 'cause the men aren't around (they must scout em deer while sun high in sky) - wait now it make sense, ...... the men aren't around.........  this leads the female warriors to attend to there tribal rituals......  massage, hot tub, swimming in the heated indoor pool, shopping and after getting that relaxed we have to explain to the men that we don't possibly have the energy to cook so we'll need to go out to dinner.  This my friends is Jewettville North - Humting Camp version.

Jewettville North has many versions- Hunting Camp, Snowmobiling -  Trails and Back Country, I'm Not Getting off This Couch All Weekend, Octoberfest, Pub Tour, and the ever popular Critter and Skidder Tour.

I like to carry my camera with me to help express what really goes on at Jewettville North ........ maybe I'll have some new pictures to share after my next visit.....  Oh, I forgot, what happens at Jewettville North, stays at Jewettville North,  bummer...

So, what about you're weekend "getting away"?  Do you ride around the woods counting the numbers of moose and wood skidders you can see?  Do you pour at glass of wine, plunk your butt down on the couch and annouce that you will not be moving - someone bring food to me and put the tv on Lifetime ( or as the men would say the outdoor channel), or do you snowmobile or snowshoe all day only to find it impossible to get out of bed the next morning because you're so out of shape even the pinky toe muscle hurts.

Really now, why is it a "weekend get away" - what are we getting away from? Shouldn't it be a "weekend go to"?

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! Even before I opened your blog this AM, I thought, when is she going to write about Jewettville North! And there it was!! I'm scary!!
    All packed and ready to go. Can't wait to get to camp tonight and you're right. What are we getting away from? It's not our getaway but our go-to!! Just doing whatever, whenever the mood strikes and loving ever minute of it. I think I've said before, Prime Rib never tasted so good when you're sitting on the camp floor, parked up to the coffee table with a willing dog at your side waiting for scraps. Laughing, eating, occasionally drinking, hiking, shopping, and just plain hangin' out. It really doesn't get any better. Did I mention laughing and eating!!!! We are so fortunate to have wonderful friends with a camp up North that loves to share that space with us and anyone who might show up out of the cold. Sometimes we even have the need for a Doctor, and he never disappoints when he "shows himself". Even though I'm not allowed to bring the kitchen sink anymore (I'm doing my best to keep it down to a bathroom sink)We never run out of anything. Let the convoy begin, Rt. 27 North!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete